A hot and spicy eggplant preparation, adds extra spice to any meal. (Beguner Chachari in Bengali)
Servings: 4 | Time To Prepare: 30 minutes | Submitted By: Chitra Nag
- 1, large Eggplant
- 3, tbsp Mustard seeds
- 8, Green Chili
- 14, stalks Cilantro
- To taste Salt
- 5, tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1, Tsp Turmeric powder
- 0.5, cup Water
- 1, Tsp Sugar
- Slice eggplant into 1/2 inch thick pieces that look like half moons.
- Rub turmeric powder, salt and sugar on the eggplant pieces and set aside.
- Grind mustard seeds along with four green chilies, ten stalks of cilantro and salt to fine paste in a blender, adding half a cup of water. This will take up to five minutes depending on the power setting on your blender.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry eggplant pieces to light brown.
- Strain the ground mustard paste, adding directly to the fried eggplant. At the same time add 4 sliced green chilies and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with some chopped cilantro and serve hot with chapattis, parathas or rice.
babuji (1/14/2007)….This ‘beguner jhaal’ is an excellent dish especially for vegetarians, but how do you succesfully make mustard paste in a blender, without it becoming bitter? Traditionally it is made by gently ginding the mustard seeds in a mortar and pestle.
daisee (10/30/2005)….Very nice recipe
tannumoni (8/26/2003)….I have made it today… It turned out great… Thanks:)
lorettachaudhary (7/16/2003)….I tried this recepie & it was really great.
bukun (8/18/2002)….I love this recipe, which my mom makes. It is her recipe and I am sure everyone will love it.
Note: these are the reviews posted by users on the old angithi.com website,
which has been now ported to this blog site.