Potato cooked with tomatoes and onions in an authentic Bengali style. Easy to prepare and tastes very good. Serve with luchi/puri at breakfast.
Servings: 4 | Time To Prepare: 30 min | Submitted By: Chitra Nag
- 4, cut into cubes Potato
- 2, cut into cubes Onion
- 1, Bay Leaf
- 1, inch chopped finely Ginger
- 4, sliced lengthwise Green Chili
- 1/2, tsp Panch Phoron
- 1/2, tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2, chopped Tomato
- 1/2, tsp Turmeric powder
- 2, Whole Red Chili
- to taste Salt
- 1/2, tsp Sugar
- 2, bunch chopped Cilantro
- 2, cups Water
- For seasoning: Heat oil. Add panch phoron, bay leaf and whole red chili. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add onion and ginger. Add Potatoes. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder & red chili powder. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, green chili, salt and sugar. Fry for few minutes.
- Add water and cook till potatoes are cooked properly and gravy just thickens.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve with roti, luchi/ puri or paratha.
mallikaa2 (5/1/2008)….its good….
stuti25 (11/15/2004)….can u tell me the trick to get this red color
ADMIN (6/19/2003)….Thanks for pointing it out. The recipes has been updated. I like it with chappati and is one of my favorite breakfast menus.
Mystic (6/19/2003)….I liked the sabji taste very much but I have a question the method doesnt tell when to put ginger and slices of green chilies. Is it missing or I have to just add in it.
bindiya (4/16/2003)….thanx for the delicious recipy,bindiya 16/04