Fish cooked with mustard paste and green chilies. You should use big fish like grass carp or rehu fish. It is the most popular dish for Bengalis, and is a delicacy in East India.
Servings: 4 | Time To Prepare: 1 hr | Submitted By: Priyanka Nag
- 8, pcs Fish (Grass Carp,Rehu,Katla,Mahi Mahi,Basa)
- 1,tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3, tbsp Mustard seeds
- 4, Green Chili
- 1./2, cup water
- 1/2, tsp Kalo Jeera
- 1, Onion (Chopped)
- 2, pods Garlic (Chopped)
- 6, Green Chili
- 1 cup Mustard Oil
- to taste Salt
- 4, tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- Cut the fish into pieces as shown in pictures. Mix turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom pan. Fry till brown. Be careful while frying as the oil splutters a lot.
- Grind everything from mustard seeds to 1/2 cup water in a grinder. Use a strainer and strain the juice out discarding the pulp. Cover it and keep aside
- In the same pani, add the kalo jeera. When spluttering stops add onion. Fry till light brown. Add crushed garlic. Fry for a minute
- Add red chili powder and rest of turmeric powder. Fry in medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the fried fish, and 1/4 cup water. Simmer for few minutes
- Add the green chilies. Pour the mustard paste all over the fish. Add salt to taste.
- In medium heat simmer for 10 min. Remove from heat. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve with plain rice
|1||Fish cleaned and mixed with salt and turmeric|
|2||Fry the fish|
|3||Fried fish kept aside|
|4||Strain the mustard paste|
|5||Add black cumin seed.|
|8||Add red chili powder and turmeric powder|
|10||Add green chilies, and salt|
|11||Add mustard paste.|
|12||Simmer in medium heat|
|13||Looks yummy. Garnish with cilantro.|