One of the most common lentil of Northern India cooked with spices.
Servings: 6 | Time To Prepare: 35 minutes | Submitted By: Chitra Nag
- 1.5, Cup Yellow Split Peas (Toor/Arahar Dal)
- 8, Cup Water
- 1, Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1, Tbsp Salt
- 1, Tsp (powder) Coriander Seeds
- 2, Tsp Sugar
- 5, Sliced Green Chili
- 2, Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2, Tbsp Ghee
- 1, large (chopped finely) Onion
- 3, Pods (chopped finely) Garlic
- 2, Medium (chopped finely) Tomato
- 2, Tbsp (chopped) Cilantro
- 1, Tsp Red Chili Powder
- A pinch Asafetida
- Wash the dal. In a pressure cooker take four cups of water and add the dal and one tea spoon turmeric powder, one tea spoon salt.
- Bring to boil and when starts steaming, reduce heat and cook for three minutes.
- Cool and mash the dal with a large spoon.
- Add, coriander powder, green chilies, sugar and remaining water. Bring to boil ,reduce heat and simmer for six to seven minutes.
- Heat oil and ghee in a non-stick pan for one minute. Add chopped onion and garlic and fry till light brown. Add chopped tomato and cilantro and continue frying for two minutes. Add a pinch of hing and cook for a few seconds and remove from heat. Add red chili powder and dal immediately..
- Serve hot with roti or steamed rice.
daisee (12/15/2005)….Very good Arhar Dal recipe.
Shinu (3/5/2004)….Excellent dal recipe..
nilita (2/12/2004)….Lovely.. that elusive taste of small town India. And very light too.
Note: these are the reviews posted by users on the old angithi.com website,
which has been now ported to this blog site.