Bengal Gram (Chollar Dal) Lentil Cooked with Coconut. A quick and easy preparation. Excellent taste. A great preparation for Bengali events.
Servings: 6 | Time To Prepare: 45 Minutes | Submitted By: Chitra Nag
- 1, Cup Bengal Gram
- 5, Cups Water
- 0.5, Tsp Coriander Seeds
- 0.5, Tsp Cumin Seed Powder
- 0.5, Inch, finely chopped Ginger
- 0.5, Tsp Turmeric powder
- 3, Sliced Green Chili
- 2, Tbsp Ghee
- 0.5, Cup, diced Coconut
- 1, Tsp Sugar
- 0.5, tsp, whole Cumin Seeds
- 2, Bay Leaf
- 2, Whole Red Chili
- To taste Salt
- Mix coriander & cumin seeds powder with red chili powder adding little water. Grate ginger into a paste.
- Add 5 cups of water into Bengal gram. Add above ground spices, ginger, salt, sugar, green chilies and turmeric powder. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer till cooked but not dissolved.
- Slice fresh coconut and cut into 1/4 inch cubes. Fry in butter to light brown. Add fried coconut pieces to the boiled lentil.
- Heat ghee or butter. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf and whole red chili and fry till splutters and becomes light brown.
- Pour in the boiled dal and cook in reduced heat for 6/7 minutes or till dal thickens to medium consistency.
- Serve hot with basmati rice or paratha.
bghosh (7/15/2002)….Wonderful recipe.
suppu (6/12/2002)….my hubby just loves it.
Note: these are the reviews posted by users on the old angithi.com website,
which has been now ported to this blog site.