Hilsa Fish Paturi — A very very delicious unforgettable fish curry
Servings: 4 | Time To Prepare: 30 Minutes | Submitted By: Chitra Nag
- 3, Lb (Hilsa- whole) Fish
- 3, Tbsp Mustard seeds
- 9, Green Chili
- 1.5, Tsp Turmeric powder
- 3, Tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1.5, Tsp or to taste Salt
- 0.5, Tsp Nigella (Kalo Jeera)
- Take one whole hilsa fish and wash. After removing the head cut into steaks about 3/4 inch thick. Remove the scales. Select 8 pieces. Rub 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 tea spoon of salt all over the pieces.
- Grind to a fine paste the mustard seeds, 5 green chilies and 1/2 tea spoon of salt in an electric grinder. You will need to add water about 1/2 cup and it will take about 4 minutes, mustard seeds being tougher.
- Mix red chili powder and turmeric powder with 3 table-spoon of water. For better taste, it is advisable to grind to a fine paste 10 or 12 whole red chili with two table-spoon of water in a grinder.
- Heat oil in a non-stick thick bottom pan. Add kalonji and 4 green chilies and after about 1/2minute add red chili powder and turmeric powder mixture and fry with stirring for about 4 to 5 minutes. ( If you do not want to be too hot then fry for a few minutes more adding little water)
- Add the hilsa fish pieces one by one. Turn each piece. Add the mustard paste diluted with water ( strain through a strainer so that only the juice is used ) and two green chili sliced and bring to boil adding 1/2 cup of water. Reduce heat, simmer for about ten minutes till gravy thickens and continue frying carefully turning the pieced till gravy becomes little dry.
- Serve hot with basmati rice.