An appetizer with a difference.
Servings: | Time To Prepare: 30 Minutes | Submitted By: J.K. Nag
- 1, Cup Yellow Split Peas (Toor/Arahar Dal)
- 4, Chopped Tomato
- 0.5, Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1, Tsp (paste) Tamarind
- To taste Salt
- 4, Stalk Cilantro
- 4, Curry Patta
- 2, Tbsp Rasam Powder
- 2, Tsp Sugar
- 3, Cup Water
- 2, Tbsp Ghee
- 0.5, Tsp Mustard seeds
- 0.5, tsp Asafetida
- 0.5, Inch piece Ginger
- 1, Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1, Tsp Peppercorns
- 4, Sliced Green Chili
- In a pressure cooker, cook the toor dal and tomatoes finely chopped, turmeric powder and salt with four cups of water. Bring to full pressure, reduce heat and cook for about four whistles.
- Release the pressure and put the cooker in heat. Add one table spoon of tamarind paste, rasam powder cilantro and curry pattas and cook for a few minutes..
- Cool and grind the dal using a hand held electric grinder.
- Heat ghee in a non stick sauce-pan, add mustard seed, cumin seeds and hing. When it starts spluttering, add ginger and green chilies add the dal and bring to boil. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve hot.
Bilina (7/24/2003)….Good recipe!
Note: these are the reviews posted by users on the old angithi.com website,
which has been now ported to this blog site.