Mutton cooked with unripened jack fruit (echor) and potato. Its is a full meal, and this recipe turns out very tasty. Famous Bengali delicacy. Use canned Jack fruit if fresh not available. Must try it out.
Servings: 4 | Time To Prepare: 2 hrs | Submitted By: Shantanu Nag
- 1, cup, segments deseeded & quartered Jackfruit
- 1, lb, small cubes Meat (lamb or goat)
- 2, medium, cut each into 4 pc Potato
- 2, medium Onion
- 1, tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 5, pods Garlic
- 1/2, inch Ginger
- 1, tsp Turmeric powder
- 2, tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2, tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2, tsp Cumin Seed Powder
- 4, tbsp Cooking Oil
- to taste Salt
- 1/2, tsp Sugar
- Grind garlic, ginger, 1/2 onion and 4 tbsp water. Strain out the juice and throw away the pulp. Marinade mutton with this juice, and rest of the spices. Mix salt and sugar and let it marinade for 1/2 hr.
- Wash, clean and cut the kathal (jack fruit) into small square pieces. If fresh jack fruit is not available, then you can use the canned version. Mix with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Mix the potato pieces. with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Heat the oil in a cooker and fry till light brown. Keep it aside. In the same oil fry the jack fruit, till it turns light red. Keep it aside.
- Finely slice the rest of the onion. In the same oil fry the onion till it turns light brown.
- Add the marinade with the mutton. Fry the mutton in medium heat till oil separates into the side of the pan. Will take close to an hour of frying.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring it to boil. If required give 3 whistles as required for making the meat tender.
- Remove pressure and add the fried potato and jack fruit Cook in medium heat for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and server hot.
|1||Jackfuit in can, available in chinese/indian grocery stores.|
|2||Raw ingredients for this recipe|
|3||Mutton cleaned and cut into pieces|
|4||Strain the juice into the mutton.|
|5||Mix rest of spices, as mentioned in step 1 of instruction|
|6||Potatoes mixed with turmeric and salt.|
|7||Fry potatoes in oil till golden brown.|
|8||Jackfruit mixed with turmeric and salt|
|9||Fried jackfruit and potato kept aside|
|10||Fry onions till light brown|
|11||Add the marinated mutton.|
|12||Fry till oil starts coming out|
|13||Add water and the fried potato and jackfruit. Simmer till done.|