Red Kidney Beans Cooked with oriental spices. Rajma and Chawl (Rice) is a very popular combination of Northern India.
Servings: 4 | Time To Prepare: 30 min | Submitted By: Chitra Nag
- 250 gm (8 oz.), Red Kidney Beans
- 2, Bay Leaf
- 2, Black Cardamom
- 1, tsp Ghee
- 5, cups Water
- to taste Salt
- 3, small finely chopped Onion
- 1.5 , inch finely chopped Ginger
- 10 , pods finely chopped Garlic
- 5, finely chopped Green Chili
- 2, tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1, large finely chopped Tomato
- 3, tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1, stalk finely chopped Cilantro
- 1, tbsp (optional) Cream
- 1, tsp Black Cumin Seed (Shahi Jeera)
- 4, Cardamom
- 1, inch Cinnamon
- 8, Cloves
- 6, Peppercorns
- 1, tbsp Ghee
- Soak Rajma beans overnight.
- Put all ingredients from rajma beans to salt in a pressure cooker. Cook in high heat till full cooking pressure is reached. Then reduce to medium heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- When cooled, separate rajma beans from the water and keep aside both rajma beans and water.
- Heat oil and ghee. Add finely chopped onion, ginger, and garlic and green chili. Fry till light brown.
- Add red chili powder and chopped tomato and cook till well fried.
- Add cooked Rajma beans and garam masala (ground Shah Zeera to Peppercorns) and fry for 4 to 5 minutes. Add water, which has been kept separated. Bring to boil and cook on medium heat till rajma beans are very well cooked.
- Remove from heat. Add chopped green coriander leaves and cream. Serve hot with rice.
monica_gupta14 (12/14/2003)….YA it was Deeliiiciiious!!!!
Minu1 (7/31/2003)….Really liked them
tigger (6/5/2003)….i tried this, but since most of the spices were not ground, my guests did not enjoy this recipe.
kali (3/29/2003)….my first rajma, though i used ready made garam masala it was loved by everybody..
I tried a lot of other recipes before, but now I always cook this only.
ASHIMA (12/20/2001)….I LUV RAJMA I AM GONNA TRY IT TODAY
Note: these are the reviews posted by users on the old angithi.com website,
which has been now ported to this blog site.