Also known as choto macch er chachra (spicy small fish). Smelt fish is usually available in Chinese market; you can substitute with any other small fish.
Servings: 4 | Time To Prepare: 1 hr | Submitted By: Priyanka Nag
- 1, lb, cleaned properly Smelt Fish
- 2, medium, cut into wedges Potato
- 1, tbsp, paste Garlic
- 1/2, tbsp, paste Ginger
- 1, medium, finely chopped Onion
- 1, tsp, adjust according to your level Red Chili Powder
- 1/2, tsp Turmeric powder
- to taste Salt
- 1/2, tsp Cumin Seed Powder
- 3/4, cup, for frying fish and curry Cooking Oil
- Clean the fish properly. Mix with turmeric and salt.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a frying pan. Deep fry the fish. Be carefull of oil spluttering out. So cover the pan as soon as you add the fish. Remove once fried, keep aside.
- Heat rest of the oil in a frying pan. Fry the onion till light brown. Add the potatoes wedges and fry for 5 min.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, 1/2 tsp turmeric, red chili, and cumin seed powder. Fry in medium heat till oil starts coming out.
- Add the fried fish. Fry for 5 minutes. For extra hot, add some green chilies. Add 1/2 cup water and bring to boil. Simmer for 10 min. Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!!
rrahman (9/30/2004)….This is a great staple. Works with Salmon, etc just as well.
Note: these are the reviews posted by users on the old angithi.com website,
which has been now ported to this blog site.