Combination of Rice and red lentil cooked in spices. Great meal for anytime.
Servings: 4 | Time To Prepare: 30 min | Submitted By: Chitra Nag
- 1, cup Basmati Rice
- 1, cup Red Lentil
- 1, cup Green Peas
- 1, large, chopped Tomato
- 1, large, chopped Onion
- 3, cloves, chopped Garlic
- 1, inch, finely chopped Ginger
- 4, chopped Green Chili
- 1, tsp Turmeric powder
- 1, tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2, tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2, tsp, whole Cumin Seeds
- 3, Bay Leaf
- to taste Salt
- 1, tsp Sugar
- 3, tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2, tsp Ghee
- 6, cup Water
- Wash rice and red lentil and keep in a large strainer to drain out the water.
- Heat cooking oil in a pressure cooker. Add whole cumin seeds and bay leaf and fry to light brown.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, green chili and fry to light brown.
- Add tomato, chili powder, turmeric powder. Fry in medium heat for a few minutes. Do not let the spices stick to the bottom of the cooker.
- Add green peas.
- Add rice and red lentil, sugar and salt. Fry for about a few minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add 6 cups of water. Add ghee and garam masala.
- Close the pressure cooker lid and cook till one whistle.
- Remove from heat and release pressure. Keep covered.
- Serve hot with ghee and fried potato or papad or omlette.
asingh (5/4/2002)….Very tasty recipe. My wife was not feeling well and we wanted to cook something fast and simple. I cooked this one and it turned out great. Very simple and very tasty. Must try. I also made some omlettes to go along with it. Make sure to release the press
Note: these are the reviews posted by users on the old angithi.com website,
which has been now ported to this blog site.